This is a review of an FDA-registered device called the Hummingbird. The Hummingbird helps improve blood circulation, which in turn, alleviates the aches, pains, fatigue, and other symptoms of fibromyalgia associated with inadequate blood flow.
Do you ever get up from a chair, walk a few steps, and then hit with a sudden wave of dizziness? It happens to me all the time. Dizziness upon standing, fatigue, brain fog, headaches, pain, blurry vision, and even excessive sweating can be caused by the blood flow abnormalities seen in fibromyalgia.
The Hummingbird is a medical device designed and manufactured in the United States by Vital Motion. It is intended to alleviate muscle aches, pain, fatigue, and other related symptoms associated with low blood pressure and inadequate blood flow common to fibromyalgia and other chronic health conditions.
The Hummingbird operates by using low amplitude, low-frequency physical massage therapy causing muscles in each calf to pump blood and fluid from the lower leg back to the heart. This improves the circulation of blood throughout the body and to the brain.
Several research studies have shown fibromyalgia patients have poor blood circulation throughout the body. Poor blood flow can impact the entire body.
Research has revealed the following:
- Reduced blood flow to and through specific parts of the brain that deal with memory and concentration as well as pain regulating functions.
- People suffering from fibromyalgia are prone to a disorder called orthostatic intolerance, which can significantly affect your cardiovascular system. Orthostatic intolerance is a drastic drop in blood pressure upon standing up. This disorder is directly related to reduced blood flow, low blood pressure and lowered heart rate.
- Muscle biopsy studies have indicated that regulation of the microcirculation is disturbed in fibromyalgia. Microcirculation refers to blood flow in the smallest blood vessels in the body – capillaries, arterioles, and other blood vessels.
- Patients with fibromyalgia have an enormous increase in the number of sensory nerve fibers within the blood vessels of the skin on the palms of their hands. This inhibits blood flow to the muscles, resulting in widespread muscle pain and fatigue.
Many of the symptoms of poor circulation are similar to fibromyalgia symptoms and can include:
- Dizziness and feeling faint
- Reduced or poor mental clarity
- Excessive sweating
- Blurry vision
- Rapid breathing
- Tiring easily with exercise
The Hummingbird is designed to stimulate and improve muscle tone in the soleus muscle of the calf. The soleus muscle is the muscle that allows you to stand for long periods of time. However, that is not the only role of the soleus muscle. This muscle is also responsible for pumping blood back to our heart while we are sitting or standing.
When the soleus muscle weakens, insufficient blood gets returned to the heart. As a result, the tissues of the body become starved for oxygen and nutrients, and we begin to experience chronic dizziness, blurry vision, cognitive difficulties, chronic fatigue, varicose veins, and many other symptoms associated with inadequate blood flow.
The Hummingbird provides mechanical stimulation to the nerve endings of the plantar (front) surface on the soles of the feet to stimulate the soleus muscle reflex. You simply sit in your favorite chair, place the front portion of your feet on the Hummingbird, and it does the rest.
I have been using the Hummingbird for a few weeks now and I have to say I am quite impressed. I started out using the device twice a day for 10 minutes at each session. After three days, I started using the device for 30 minutes at a stimulation level set at 50.
The first thing I noticed was improved mental clarity and less fatigue. I was thrilled. I could not believe that a simple device could boost my energy and clear the brain fog. If that was the only result, I would still be pleased but it gets even better.
I am now using the Hummingbird for 45 minutes set at a stimulation level of 60 each session. My pain levels have dropped and I haven’t been getting dizzy upon standing. In fact, I went from having frequent dizzy spells to hardly any at all.
Vital Motion has a free app for your Android or Apple smartphone. You need the app to control the stimulation time and stimulation level. They are working on the remote control for the Hummingbird but it is not available yet.
The Hummingbird is not recommended for use by people with uncontrolled high blood pressure or a history of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). People who have undergone surgery of any kind in the last 3 months should not use the Hummingbird until cleared by their doctor.
The Hummingbird does not use electrical or magnetic pulse so it should not have any effect on implants including pacemakers. But please consult your doctor if you have a pacemaker, are pregnant, or have any other health concerns prior to using the Hummingbird.
Fibro Women Blogs
Chronic Woman Blogs
Chronic Illness Blogs
Official Fibromyalgia Blogs